Creamy Parmesan Pasta with Hot Italian Sausage
Who doesn't love a great big bowl of pasta? I certainly do! I adapted this recipe from Jamie Oilver, and while my version is not as healthy, its perfect comfort food for binge watching Law and Order or an easy weeknight family meal. A few ingredients go a long way, and its best not to skimp on the Parmesan - freshly grated is far better than the powdered stuff in the plastic jar (but if its all you've got....).
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 4 links of hot Italian sausage
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 diced medium onion
- 1 28oz can of tomatoes (whole plum or crushed, either will work just fine)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (milk or half and half will work fine as well, just use whatever you have on hand)
- 2 tablespoons of oregano
- 1 tablespoon of red chili pepper flakes
- fresh grated Parmesan to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil a large pot of water and cook the sausage for about 2 - 3 minutes, just until it turns opaque and gets firm.
2. Cook the pasta according to package instructions in the same water used for the sausage
3. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large high sided pan and heat over medium heat
4. Slice the sausage into small discs and cook in the pan with the olive oil
5. After 2-3 minutes, add in the chopped garlic and onions and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Adjust the heat to ensure the garlic doesn't burn.
6. Add the can of tomatoes along with 1/2 cup of water. If using whole tomatoes, be sure to break them up with a spoon as you stir. Adjust the heat to a simmer and stir in oregano, red chili pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
7. After about 10 minutes of simmering, stir in the heavy cream and about a 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan.
8. Stir in the cooked pasta.
9. Serve in a bowl, topping the pasta with a little more fresh grated Parmesan and more oregano if you'd like.